Draw on your artistic skills, your family experience and your academic interest in evaluating stimulation for memory loss, to perform for people in the early stages of dementia, for mutual benefit.
Set up an arts project through your university for people living with dementia in the nearby community, and their carers.
- Allow time to organise your CRB check as you will be working with vulnerable adults.
- You and your volunteers should undertake dementia training.
- Plan a series of eight weekly sessions.
- Your art/dance/drama/music/photography/poetry project must be high-calibre, well planned and focussed to stimulate.
- Seek funding from your local council.
- Invite six people with memory loss and six carers.
Your activity will enhance the lives of your participants and dissemination of your research has the potential to help many more.
- For referrals, approach your local community mental health team or memory service.
- Let Arts 4 Dementia know, so that we can signpost your events to aid referral.
- Incorporate an object, CD or homework to sustain interest during the week until the next session.
- Monitor and evaluate each session, noting actual quotes, negatives as well as positives for development of the project.
- If possible, set in place activity to continue after you yourself have completed your research.
- Send your report and photographs to Arts 4 Dementia as a news item.